[LargeFormat] Philosophy

Wilkes, Don MSER:EX largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 25 16:50:34 2002

> Well I'm embarrassed to say I've been at mine for more than
> two years and
> have yet to produce a single print...!

If it wasn't for some talented friends of mine, I'd be in the same boat,
Brock. One of the lads is a journeyman electrician, one is damn handy at
almost everything, and another does small reno jobs in his spare time.
Without their help (and goading), I'd likely still be sanding that dratted
drywall.

> I can see the dark at the end of the tunnel however... I need
> only make the
> final connections between the sink and the wall, and
> weather-strip the door
> to prevent light leaks.  At this rate, I should be good to go
> by the end of August...

Keep on plugging away, Brock!  It'll be well worth it in the end.  One of my
most irritating light-tighting problems was the weatherstrip for the door.
There's a small hump in the floor, and that prevented the use of a "sweep"
style strip that would normally have been really effective.  I worked around
it, though, and it's not a problem unless summer daylight is streaming into
the rest of the basement.  Considering the really primitive spaces in which
I've worked in the past, it seems churlish to gripe about something that
minor :}

> I did drop not one, but two Ethernet cables into this room...
> just in case.

I don't plan on ever running computers in my darkroom (there isn't enough
bench space, for a start), so cable never occurred to me.  I do slap myself
on the forehead, though, for forgetting to run some telephone cable!  Some
day I'll fish it through the ceiling joists, or through the wall, but it's
pretty low priority.  If I'm the only one home, I just grab the cordless
from upstairs.

Cheers,
\dw