[LargeFormat] Re: The Plague of Fungus

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sat Mar 23 10:05:06 2002

Now I will admit I don't live in Panama, but there are easier ways to deal
with it.

First off, the biggest worry I have is that fungus will attack the coating
of the lenses. Once it's eaten away, it's gone.

fungus on the camera itself isn't as big a deal as all that. Leather bellows
may need a different treatment, but post WWII bellows are vinyl or some
other substittue that can be wiped and or washed in ammonia to kill
anything.

As for mildew/fungus on wood parts, I'd just wiped them down with ammonia
clean the finish with Naptha then polish with some wax.

If it's really a problem you can kill spores with ozone.  They make machines
used to salvage couches and such after a flood.  apparently they put the
couch in a room with the ozone machine on and let it stay there for several
hours This suposedly gets the spores, and it's a lot easier to kill these
things on LF equipment than inside 6" of foam rubber.

les