[LargeFormat] Qickload and Readyloads.. ---> air travel and LF gear

Michael Briggs largeformat@f32.net
Tue Mar 19 21:05:08 2002

On 19-Mar-02 john frost wrote:
>  I don't really want to drag eight
> or so boxes through carry on, what with 20 or 30 lbs. of lf gear. How
> theft resistant are lf lenses in checked baggage? Dare I trust the

If I were placing camera gear in checked baggage, I would put it in ordinary
bags rather than photo cases.  The idea is to be less conspicuous.   It would
have to be well packed because checked luggage gets thrown around.   My advice
is to carry the expensive stuff with you as carryon luggage.   The one
exception is the tripod, which might be difficult to fit into the carryon size
and might be difficult to get approved by the security inspection for carryon
luggage. The reason for this advice is that the airlines exclude camera
equipment from their lost-luggage coverage.   If you still want to check your
LF gear, talk to your insurance agent to see if your existing insurance would
cover it, or if you should buy additional coverage.

--Michael