[LargeFormat] Rome and Stieglitz

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 18 23:54:25 2002

| The air trip was fine - things seem to have relaxed a little since I
| travelled through Rome last October.  The single item of hand luggage rule
| was applied fairly strictly though. Will have to revise my methods for
| taking kit over to the US in September. Thinking that maybe a Pelican case
| and using checked baggage is the way forwards.

I took my Nikon gear back and forth to Australia 15 months ago... in a
Pelican case, in the hold.  Some new scuffs on the case, but the gear came
through OK.  I did, however, put a good padlock on the case to discourage
any photographically (or criminally) inclined baggage handlers from
borrowing any of the goodies inside.

I haven't put 4x5 stuff in the hold yet.  I can't convince myself that the
ground glass can survive any shocks, even in the foam.  Don't want to
support the glass directly with the foam, for fear of snapping the glass
with uneven pressures, but don't want to have it supported by just the edges
either.  I'd be curious to hear what others have done in this regard.  Any
foolproof ground glass protection ideas?

Brock