[LargeFormat] Jobo & 4x5 B/W Sheet Film

Chuck Cox largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 13 07:16:03 2002

Hi Joe,

I bought the 4342 Sheet Film Kit from Adorama.  The kit is includes a #2551 Tank that holds 2 #2509N 4x5" Sheet Film Reels, a #2512 4x5" reel loading Guide, and a #2508 Loader Base.  The reels hold six sheets of 4x5 or 6x9 film and are easy to load with the guide and base.  I also bought additional tanks and some reels on Ebay.

I use a motor roller base (Unicolor) that I also bought on Ebay for about $20.  I could not justify the cost of a Jobo processor or the 3000 series tanks for what is just a hobby.

I find the reels are easy to load and the whole process is simple. Typically, I develop three reels of 4x5 (18 sheets) in one tank using the motor roller base and the results are excellent and very consistent.  The base rotates continuously, first in one direction then reverses.

It's very nice to fill the tank, which fills very fast, put the lid on, set it on the roller base, turn the base on, start the timer, and then set a relax watching the tank rotate.

I rinse the tank and reels and dry them between runs - typically I do about 72 sheets or four runs at a time.  I use my old CombiPlan tanks for the photo flow.

For me this is a very good system, easy to use, consistent, and not too expensive.

Good Luck !!

Chuck