[LargeFormat] Keeping Film Cool (was Re: A new departure)

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Sun Mar 10 00:14:26 2002

From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@megacycle.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:30:13 +0000
<snip>
It's amazing the extremes of temperature that film will tolerate - unless
it's something like 4x5 trannie film that is......  The temperatures in the
hire cars I use in the US on my various trips can be so extreme that it is
not possible to get into the car unless you want to get burned by the seats
and challenge your respiratory system!  Strategy is to open the door wide,
insert ignition key from outside the car and fire it up with the AC on full.
  These temperatures are despite having huge reflective sun shades in the
front and rear windows.....

After about five or ten minutes you can use the car - if your trannie film
is not in a cooler bag it'll be roasted!  This probably comes into the realm
of prolonged high temperatures :-)
<snip>

Greetings,

Surely you're joking Clive?  Granted in the SW USA temps can surely rise in
the summer, but in all my travels through northern Arizona, New Mexico and
Utah, I've never experienced a problem.

While I have thought of taking along a cooler just for film, I've never
actually done it.  Chromes, color print, B&W and IR all stays locked in the
trunk and if there's a difference I can't tell.  Perhaps because I'm
shooting landscapes under ever changing color temps,  but I've never seen a
color shift or increase in base fog.  Now I know parts of southern and
central Arizona can experience temps well above 100F in the summer, I don't
go to those kind of places when the temp's that high.  I have spent a week
in Utah, when the temps were 98F - 99F the entire time.

BTW, I think you're much better off with water than Mountain Dew.:)

Regards, Pete