[LargeFormat] Carbon Fibre tripods... (was something else)...

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Sat Mar 9 23:58:26 2002

From: "Achal Pashine" <achal@stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:30:17 -0800
<snip>
Related question about CF tripods, I think I asked in my last unanswered
post, is how exactly CF's light weight and hardness translates to making a
good tripod? It will not be broken by bullets but can be toppled easily
because of lightness by wind?
Haven't used them but will like to know more,
thanks,
achal
<snip>

Greetings,

For several years now, I've been using the Gitzo 1228 CF tripod and love it.
  It's not without flaws, but it's a tool and for my application, one that
works quite well.

I almost always venture far from a vehicle, so that means I'm carrying
everything on my back and weight is a very big consideration.  Last October,
I hauled more than 50lbs over 10 miles in the canyons of southern Utah and
every ounce counted.

I cut the center column so it can never be extended and I almost always use
a 90 degree reflex viewer, which means the tripod doesn't need to be raised
very high off the ground.  I also carry a nylon mesh bag, which I fill with
rocks and suspend from the head if I need more stability.  Either that, or
suspend my pack from the tripod, but the pack is usually too heavy.

If I extend the tripod fully it would shows signs of instability, but for my
purposes it functions wonderfully.  I've even been crazy enough to place a
B&J 8x10 on top of it and while that combo is way beyond the recommended
ratings, the images came out sharp, with no sign of vibration.

As to repors that CF tripod can be fragile, or are subject to needing care
and cleaning, I can only say that I have not found this to be true.  My 1228
has been through quite a bit: sand, water, snow, heat, freezing water, salt
water, etc. and I have yet to clean it, or do anything else to it; it just
keeps working.

This tripod even survived a substantial fall.  It was strapped to the
outside of a friend's pack while "climbing" in the mountains and the pack
got away from my friend.  It tumbled end-over-end over rocks for about 100
feet, then went off the edge of the cliff and fell 75 feet.  It remained in
the wet snow over night, until we were able to retrieve it the next day.
Sure there were scrapes and scratches, but it still works fine!

Perhaps not all CF tripods are created equal - I know that's the case with
CF fishing rods...  Or, perhaps I'm really lucky!

Regards, Pete