[LargeFormat] Keeping Film Cool (was Re: A new departure)

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Fri Mar 8 20:59:04 2002

I think it would be interesting to test the heat effects and try to quantify
the damage.  Where I live, the summer temperatures approach 40 Celsius.
Where I holiday, the temperatures can get that high as well (usually
Queensland).  I don't leave the film in the passenger compartment... the
glass gets the greenhouse effect going in a big way as you say!  I use the
trunk... much cooler, even if the paint is dark (the amount of temperature
rise in a dark car is not that much more than a lighter car - it's the glass
that counts!) and leave the film in the camera bag which is a fairly good
insulator too I've found.  If I'm not shooting black and white, it's Velvia
and I've never had an issue with unexpected colours!  Perhaps in a lab
setting with cold samples and warm samples there might be a difference
detected, but after adding polarizers, warming filters, etc, it's hard to
look at the result and say 'crap, I should have kept the film cold!'.
Colour temperature of the sun at different times of the day... sunsets...
hard to quantify.

A lab test would be interesting to try...!

Hot Mountain Dew... that's a thought I don't like to contemplate!!!  It's
bad enough cold!!

Brock