[LargeFormat] two evils: mounting

Charles Thorsten largeformat@f32.net
Thu Mar 7 17:58:01 2002

I would recommend the Coda cold-mount adhesive, if
there is a professional lab there who can do it for you.
It requires a large roller press.  How big are the prints?

I've tried a lot of different archival mounting methods
for color prints, but none of them have been satisfactory.
I used to make nice corner mounts out of acid-free
paper, attached to cotton rag museum board.  The prints
looked great initially, but over time they would sag under
their own weight.  I've tried hanging them with acid-free
tape, but the prints would wrinkle with changes in temp
and humidity.

Eventually I decided there was no way around an
adhesive mount.  Coda's cold mount adhesive works
well on substances like Gatorboard.  You can also
try dry mounting the prints with Seal Colormount
(don't use MT5).  I've only recently experimented with
this route though.  So far the results are good...just don't
let the temperature get too hot.

If the prints are framed with either mounting method,
I think factors such as heat/humidity changes and direct
sunlight will affect the archival nature of the photos more
than the adhesive will.

-Charlie