[LargeFormat] Shen-Hao Cameras

Wilkes, Don MSER:EX largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 4 17:58:18 2002

> Thanks for the offer Don - View Camera magazine is available by
> subscription only here in the UK.

Pity -- it's one of my favourites...

> Typing up the article will probably
> break some copyright unless you have specific permission to copy the
> article so probably better to summarise it if you have the time.

You're right, of course.  It is relatively short, but I'll summarize the
main points. The author is Steve Simmons, by the way.

 -- They find it really solid, even with double extension.
 -- Sliding surfaces are all metal to metal, which is a good thing...
 -- It has a rather unusual (for a folder) rear rise/fall adjustment.
 -- It'll take a 90mm without bag bellows (which are available for about
US$95)
 -- The 12" of bellows could be a drawback.

On the facing page is a lengthier article on the Gandolfi Traditional 4x5,
which is [ahem] about four times the price of the Shen Hao. It does look
rather lovely, however...

\don wilkes, victoria, b.c.