[LargeFormat] Radio Flash Slaves

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Fri Mar 1 04:36:01 2002

Having had the opportunity recently to use some radio flash slaves I have
been spoiled forever and unfortunately now have another photographic object
of desire. No more trailing wires and dodgy flash sync connections, no more
relying on light driven flash slaves, no more of the "did that third head
go off or not" questions.

OK, so here is the problem, given that the price of a new radio slave
system is about the same as the purchase price of my entire field outfit
how can I possibly justify such an expense?  The answer is that probably
there is no way it can be justified, so the thought of DIY springs to mind.

Does anyone on the list have the skills, knowhow, or a URL that they can
direct me to for constructing a radio flash slave unit.  The issues are -
deaf receiver/high power transmitter vs coded digital pulse. The second
option may result in latencies that will make higher shutter speeds
unusable as the code/decode cycle will take too long. The first option is
environmentally unfriendly and requires more battery power.

Any thoughts or suggestions?