[LargeFormat] Internegatives

Jim largeformat@f32.net
Mon Feb 25 11:32:46 2002

At 08:50 AM 2/25/2002 -0500, Hornford, Dave wrote:

>I haven't been impressed with the couple of  Cibachrome prints I have had=
=20
>made locally - and 8x10 is the largest size opened and 11x17ish is my=20
>wife's favourite size
>I'd rather not go the digital route - with the recent conversion of a=20
>friend with a darkroom to LF he upgraded his enlarger to support LF -=20
>because I want to print this one.
>
>OK, how hard is the  Cibachrome route?
>
>regards Dave

I print Cibachromes almost daily. I actually do custom printing, for a few=
=20
clients, as an adjunct to my regular work. I spent the entire day yesterday=
=20
printing Cibachromes for a client who sells them in a California gallery,=20
and seems to be quite successful at it.

My darkroom is a normal darkroom, 10'x10'. I use a JOBO ATL-2400 processor=
=20
for nearly all film processing, all color print processing, and 16x20 and=20
larger B&W print processing.

Printing Cibachrome is not difficult. But you should not jump in too deep=20
at first. I suggest that you start with the medium contrast, resin coated,=
=20
CPM paper, either glossy or pearl. It is the least expensive paper and the=
=20
medium contrast emulsion is Ciba's latest and best emulsion. I use this=20
paper and emulsion for test prints then switch to the very expensive=20
polyester base paper for the final prints. You can use P30 chemistry which=
=20
is sold in small quantities. I use P3 chemistry which is sold in 20 liter=20
kits. The process is optimized for 86=B0 F.

Give it a try...

Jim