[LargeFormat] Internegatives

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Mon Feb 25 11:03:42 2002

From: "Hornford, Dave" <Dave.Hornford@Compaq.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:50:13 -0500
<snip>

OK, how hard is the  Cibachrome route?

regards Dave
<huge snip>

Greetings,

IMHO, Ilfochromes are easier to do than fine B&W prints.  I know that
statement will probably set a bunch of people off, but I qualified it with
"fine."  Once you get the color balance for the paper, it genereally doesn't
change from one tranny to the next.

To effectively do Ilfochromes, you need the keep the temperature constant,
preferrable at 30 C.  A roller base in a water baths, a JOBO processors, or
other automated processors are all options and make the job really easy.
The sequence at 30C is:
Developer - 2 min
Rinse     - 30 sec
Bleach    - 2 min
Fix       - 2 min
Wash      - 4 min (I usually do 6 min.)

What makes Ilfochrome hard are extreme contrasts.  Trannies can record a
wide dynamic range, but the Ilfo paper can't reproduce it.  There are
techniques for handling this (i.e. contrast masks) but that's more advanced
printing.  Ilfo paper also comes in different contrast grades, but they get
expensive to stock.

As lond as your chromes are "normal" and you have a method for keeping
constant temperatures, Ilfochromes are easy.

Regards, Pete