[LargeFormat] Internegatives

TigerShark largeformat@f32.net
Sun Feb 24 23:24:12 2002

You need Internegative film, though some low contrast slides can be
copied to regular low contrast negative film (VPS) successfully.

I have done many on my enlarger.  Put the slide in the negative stage,
and project onto a sheet of internegative film, either in a film holder
(easiest) or on a flat black easel.

I also have made very good internegatives through contact printing onto
a piece of Internegative film, again using the enlarger, with dichroic
head to balance color.

Using a view camera is possible, but you will need a short flat field
macro lens or a 50mm-100mm enlarger lens to get enough magnification
without ending up with 5 foot bellows extension.  Shake is a big
problem, and you will need a light source to illuminate the slide from
behind.  Count on loosing very fine detail, and loosing very fine dark
lines in light areas (like power lines in the sky) because of blow out.

Alternatively, you can scan the slide (or have it scanned) and get
either output as digital prints (lightjet, inkjet) or have a new
negative recorded on a film recorder.  The image can be manipulated
digitally before it is output, which is sometimes wanted to remove
objects, dust, etc, or do other enhancements, such as make the grass
greener.  Your imagination and the sky are the only limit.

TigerShark