[LargeFormat] On Location

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Feb 20 20:49:19 2002

At 5:36 pm -0800 20/2/02, Jim wrote:
snip

>Charlie,
>
>I suspect that your 150 & 210 are f/5.6 lenses. The 90 is f/8. It is
>a well known fact that the wider the lens, the more difficult it is
>to see to focus. My belief (and practice) is that the wider the
>lens, the wider the max aperture needs to be. Which is why my 75mm
>lens (a Rodenstock Grandagon) is f/4.5 and I have no trouble
>focusing. I rented an f/8 90mm Super Angulon and couldn't see a damn
>thing! Dismally dark GG image. My 120/180/210 are all f/5.6 and give
>a bright image. My long 720mm Nikkor is f/16 max and is bright and
>easy to focus.
>
>What I am saying is, is it possible that you simply cannot focus the
>dim f/8 90mm GG image?
>
>Jim

The double posting may have had something to do with your friendly
ol' ListAdmin. Anyway, it's welcome traffic.

You're right about that dim image - that was the lens I was using
when I thought I had gone blind ;-)

In the big wide outdoors I find the GG image plenty bright enough but
in a dim interior it can be challenging if your critical area of
focus is small. Having said that, even with the f8, once I figured
out that my eyes no longer focus closer than 6 inches without
assistance there was no problem in focusing......

So Charlie, do you think you could be optically challenged like me?