[LargeFormat] 90mm Schneider Super Angulon f8 (was Re: On Location)

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Feb 20 16:01:05 2002

Charlie,

Mine is the 90mm f8 SA - I have a couple of them, one intended for
use as a wide 120 format lens for a camera under construction, the
other is a Linhof select lens that I use with the MPP. I also have
the 150 Sironar N and a Symmar S 210 so have the same set of lenses
to make the comparison.

I would say that your lens is not performing as it should do for some
reason. One of the images taken with the 90mm f8 is posted in the
Forum at:

http://www.f32.net/cgi-local/discus/show.cgi?18/159

The lens has always surpassed my expectations and generally I prefer
the images from that lens in terms of apparent sharpness, contrast
and colour rendition to those from the 150 Sironar N. Really there
should not be a lot of difference in the performance of the lenses as
they are all of relatively recent manufacture (in LF terms anyway)
and all should perform well.

There is always variability in performance from the same lens model
across those manufactured. Take a look at Christopher Perez & Kerry
Thalmann's lens tests to see examples of this at
http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html Maybe your 90mm is not
performing to par - has it been taken apart in its lifetime that you
know about? Could be that a collimation is in order but probably
unlikely.

If you can borrow a similar lens it would be interesting to make a comparison.