[LargeFormat] Lynne Cohen - photographer

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jan 30 19:33:05 2002

At 4:38 pm -0700 30/1/02, Tim Atherton wrote:
>I believe the prints are 40" to 60" or thereabouts. The book is very nicely
>printed up.
>
>Tim A

Well I have now had a look at the site and Ms Cohen's work doesn't do
a lot for me. As you may know I reject most of my own work, however
there are f32 Photographers whose images really are inspiring and
deserve a place on those Gallery walls!

Appreciation of any work of art is a personal experience. There are
probably many of us who have a negative reaction to hype and perhaps
we are more critical of work that is placed before us in a
prestigious setting. Well that's the case for me anyway - must be
something to do with early nurturing ;-)

Perhaps Cohen's work is more challenging in that the cold clinical
nature of the images does not allow the viewer to warm to her style.
If I was to pick one word to describe the work it would be empty!
That is, empty and devoid of feeling. Maybe that is what she is
trying to get across - generally I prefer to be warmed, uplifted and
inspired (and not necessarily in that order!). A negative emotion is
also fine, however her photos simply make me feel depressed!