[LargeFormat] Scanners/equipment.

Galt, Anthony largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 22 14:07:06 2002

Loren wrote:

>Just purchased an Epson 2450 scanner which has ability to scan face on
>as well as 35mm, 120, and 4x5 trannies and negs....

The 2450 is an amazing piece of equipment for the price! I've had one for
about a month and have been scanning some 6x6 material and a couple of old
4x5s from the 70s when, on rare occasions, I useda Crown Graphic and a view
camera. The scanner's possibilities led me to get my Rolleiflex shutter and
film transport lubed and adjusted and to purchase a new Shen Hao field
camera with a Rodenstock 150 mm f/5.6 Sironar-S. I've made wonderful 11 x 14
and 11 x 16 prints with the scanner and my Epson 1270 printer. In short,
this attractively priced scanner has reopened medium and large format
photography for me. (I already have considerable experience with digital
darkroom work with 35 mm.)

One recommendation I have, though, is to do your sharpening in whatever
image manipulation program you use (I use Picture Window). I have found that
the automatic unsharp masking in both the bundled Silverfast scanning
software and the Epson Twain software produces too much loss of fine detail
and is difficult to control finely.

Tony Galt (new to the list)