[LargeFormat] Scanners revisited.

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 19 17:32:42 2002

At the risk of fanning the flames, but moving it back to photography...

Corel PhotoPaint is FREE if you run Linux.  The GIMP is incredibly close to
Photoshop - again, no cost.  And of course Linux can be downloaded at no
charge.  Doesn't crash either, uptimes of a year are not uncommon - only
mean you haven't had a power failure or upgraded the hardware.

Scanners!!!  Was it here I saw a few comments about a Canon scanner that
would do large format transparencies *well*?  I think it must be time for me
to invest in a scanner so I can finally get some images to Clive for my
page!  I don't want to sacrifice the ability to scan 35mm slides at a decent
resolution... a 25MB file for 35mm would be what I want.  The Photosmart
unit I have (the original) really hurts in the shadow areas - so much so
that I just don't use it.  And of course it doesn't do anything larger than
35mm.

I could probably find some archives and find the model number, but what I
really want to know is if the honeymoon is over!  Would people still
recommend this unit?  4x5 is as large as I can see myself going...

Brock