[LargeFormat] Palm software for large format photography

Robert Mayrand largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 8 10:49:02 2002

I've check both software (Photolog & Vade Mecum) and I must admit that I
find Photolog a lot more usefull, it's true that the one from Bob contain a
lot more info about complicated calculation but I suspect most of them would
be usefull in a studio environment and so would be completely useless for
me. Photolog on the other hands is mare as the name imply, a way to build up
a nice database documenting your shot and it sure is really, really simple
to use and cover just the information I need. It's a lot less technical and
a lot more practical.

A large part of my evolution as a photographer came when I started taking
exhaustive notes about each photograph and of course when I discover the
zone system. The facts that this software transform my simple calculation
into notes and allow me to take additional info (and keep some note about
the zone) really suits me perfectly. The possibility of easily building a
data log about every shot I took on my computer suits me even better. I know
that I would'nt transfer this information into a database if it was simply
handwritten! And I know that a lot of my handwritten documentation of a shot
is sometimes lacking a few info or is often "lost in action". So for me this
device will sure be helpful.

Altough I agree in part with inphoto about the use of pen and
paper..........since i'm also a traditionnalist, who still prefer
non-electronic injection car, old wooden furniture, film over digital, foot
activated sewing machine, old Corona typewriter. But in some case I must say
that I'm happy when technology gives me a hand. And from my point of view
once you used an electronic lightmeter I think that the old wood and brass
magic is already gone!

I must also ad that so far in my life I ran out of pen many more times then
my palm failed me! so reliability is really relative to people I guess!
Anyway I always got paper backup.....if I could just find this pen!!!

Robert
Mtl. Quebec