[LargeFormat] Palm software for large format photography

lnphoto largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 8 09:20:11 2002

Call me a heretic or a Luddyte, but a pad and pencil has no problem  being
seen in daylight, needs no batteries, will work in cold weather and is
inexpensive. Supplimentary firm or hardware such as a grease pencil on the
film holder guarrantees accurate info for that sheet of film. these are a
bit harder to "download" on to a PC, but no more difficult than trying to
figure out why the info you downloaded from your PDA went into al the wrong
fields and you have garbage on your screen.

Like the kid in the comics that's so bookish, he has to calculate the
tragectory and velocity before he can throw a pass when playing touch
football with his brother, all of this software causes a great loss of
sponentanety/intutiveness/magic of LF.
a pad and pencil will not get you the DOF charts in a flash, nor will it
calcuate the angle of declination of the lens but then my camera doesn't
have vernier calibrated swings and tilts either.

I once shot the Post office of Frasier, KY. Population one family and three
buildings, an abandoned General Store on the other side of the road, the
farm house and the PO in their front yard. The PO was no more than 10x20 and
looked great, but the vegetable garden next to it looked attrocious. My plan
had been to shoot it straight on, but as I opened the back of the Deardorf
the rear swung off to one side, throwing the garden out of focus, putting
the emphasis on the buildng. I tweaked the amount until it was right,
stopped down no more than 1 stop and shot.

How the heck could a PDA help on this?

Now when doing lens to lens comparison, or other empirical testing, I can
see there's a potential benefit in gathering more information in the field.
But note taking is only one of a number of programs these things can do. Are
they really necessary?? The only time I used a DOF chart is on my Hassy SWC.
I can't see to focus it, because it would take too much time for the job at
hand to put the GG on and off for every shot, so I set the lens for hyper
focal, stop down to 16 and shoot away.

Sign me lost and confused in the late 19th century....
Les