[LargeFormat] Ground Glass Focusing

Ken Hough largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 1 21:42:04 2002

You either just turned 40 or keep everything 2feet away from you!
I have 2 sets of glasses. One for 24in to inf and a pair for 3inch to 15in.
age is a pain.
Ken

To:             	largeformat@f32.net
From:           	Clive Warren <cocam@cableinet.co.uk>
Subject:        	[LargeFormat] Ground Glass Focusing
Send reply to:  	largeformat@f32.net
	<mailto:largeformat-request@f32.net?subject=subscribe>
Date sent:      	Tue, 1 Jan 2002 21:02:13 +0000

Thought I would share an experience with you.....

Whilst visiting relatives over the holidays, took the 4x5 large
format rig into a local cathedral for a few atmospheric architectural
shots using a new to me 90mm Super Angulon. Having set up and paid a
small suggested fee for the privilege of taking photos (use of video
cameras was three times the cost!), started to focus the rather dim
scene on the GG. It was a difficult scene to focus as the light was
so dim.

After 5 minutes of trying to focus under the darkcloth I decided that
there was something wrong with either the lens or the camera, but
couldn't for the life of me work out what it was. It was just not
possible to get near infinity focus on some organ pipes at the far
end of the building that were fairly small on the GG.

After having taken the lens off the camera and generally poking
around, put all back together and tried again - same results, no
sharp focus possible on the GG.

Stood back and looked at the camera, the organ pipes, my watch, and
wondered if the pubs were open.  Then glanced again at the GG - hang
on it was in focus now! Got closer to the GG and tried to fine tune a
little before getting out the loupe - all out of focus again. A
lightning bolt of inspiration - head out from under the darkcloth and
held finger in front of eyes same distance as I was from the GG - it
was out of focus .. doh!