[LargeFormat] Ground Glass Focusing

Paul and Paula Butzi largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 1 20:48:07 2002

> Whilst visiting relatives over the holidays, took the 4x5 large
> format rig into a local cathedral for a few atmospheric architectural
> shots using a new to me 90mm Super Angulon. Having set up and paid a
> small suggested fee for the privilege of taking photos (use of video
> cameras was three times the cost!), started to focus the rather dim
> scene on the GG. It was a difficult scene to focus as the light was
> so dim.

A good trick to focus in places where the light is really dim - take along
a laser pointer.  Use the laser to throw a small bright dot on whatever you
want to focus on, and then focus on the bright dot.  Works a treat.  I have
a strip of gaffer's tape wrapped around my laser pointer, I use the tape
both to hold down the 'on' button and to strap the laser to something
convenient (like the tripod leg) so I can let go of it while I focus.

-Paul