[LargeFormat] Duratrans (was: color transparencies)

Joe Tait largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 30 13:44:11 2001

On 12/29/01 1:35 PM, "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com> wrote:

> Well - you can do display transparencies using a Lightjet print from a scan
> of your image - neg or tranny.
>
> BTW - I just had a 24x30 Lightjet print made from a scan of a 4x5 colour
> negative. Did the scan on my Epson 1640 and upscaled with Genuine Fractals.
> As this was a first time test of Lightjet prints for me, I also had a 24x30
> "traditional" print made by a lab I know and use.
>
> Well... first, the Lightjet print came out just as expected from my scan -
> not only that, it was stunning. By comparison, the regular print looked
> disappointing. The Lightjet was sharper, more crisp and better colour. Now,
> I did do work on it in Photoshop, obviously, so I could get it just how I
> wanted. But the Trad print was also a custom print, with dodging and burning
> etc and running a test print. The Lightjet print just blew it away. The
> traditional print just couldn't get there.  And it was cheaper.... I'm sold
>
> tim a

This is great news Tim.

I've been considering this route (came to LF w/ a graphic design
background/job).

Could you share the process. Epson scanning, file specs, etc. What did you
give the SB for final output? Do you have plans for B/W?

Other people have used Duratrans for contact printing with alt. processes.
Its a viable way. I've just been waiting to hear someone using flatbeds, or
some cheaper scanning route to get great results (instead of paying $35USA
for a drum/imacon scan).

-joe