[LargeFormat] Who is Who

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 29 18:24:35 2001

OK here goes.

I've been lurking around this site for a short time. Made a few posts.  So
who am I. Well I'm actually a fireman in Illinois just outside of Chicago.
Although photography has always been with me.  I seem to go away and come
back to it. At one time I thought I might want to leave the fire service to
work professionally in the field.  I never actually finished a photo degree
but almost.  It seems many years gone by I worked with some commercial guys
in my area as an assistant, that's what really got me in trouble.  I began to
love that type of work. And of course LF also.

As life got in the way, I had to make a decision either be a F/F or be a
photographer. As you can imagine at least for me running in while everyone
else is running out had just a tiny bit more pull than photography.  Although
I couldn't help always wonder if I could get into the biz.

So here I am kid not kids are getting older life seems to be having a small
amount of free time. And my mind started to wander and wonder. Built a
darkroom with a great setup from ebay although I have the same thoughts of
Mr. Nanson in the long run how long will I need it. But for now I've done a
little work in the new room. And am happy I did it, it's how I got my start
as a B&W tech with most of the guys I worked with.

I built my own 4x5 monorail as I'm not a bad woodworker and look forward to
doing something in 8x10. And of course can't help but look to perhaps
actually trying to do some commercial work. Although I know that there is a
lot against me.

The only real question I have is can you start out working with film and then
get into digital in the commercial world? I hope so. I actually really enjoy
working with film always have. I've never found it a bad experience and I
like darkroom work. Who ever reads this sorry to have rambled a bit. I have
to tell you it is fantastic to have found a place that I can read stuff from
like minded souls who don't mind sharing info.

Greg Orlando
Call me "Geo" everybody does.

Chicago IL USA