[LargeFormat] Processing 4X5 recommandations.

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Fri Dec 28 08:54:15 2001

I have processed 4x5 in trays, film hangers in daylight tanks, and in a
Yankee adjustable film developing daylight tank.  The only one you had to sit
in the dark is the tray method.  Rotating the sheets from the bottom of the
stack to the top takes a little practice and you should not go for a short
development time when starting out.  Pre-wetting the film will help reduce
the chance of streaking and uneven development, but do not do more than you
can rotate (say limit it to 6 sheets) or you will have uneven development.
The easiest method I found was the steel hangers loaded and placed in the
daylight stainless steel tank.  We used to do up to about a dozen at a time
in the tank which held about 1/2 gallon.  When the development was done we
turned out the lights and moved all the racks at once into a water rinse and
then into another daylight tank with fixer.  The daylight tanks had light
tight lids which just sat on top with the lip on the edges hanging down over
the tank sides.

The Yankee tanks are very easy to use and you can get used to loading them
quickly.  A little practice with you eyes closed helps.  By the way sometimes
it helps to close you eyes in the dark.... It seems to stop your brain from
trying to use them and focus (!) on what your other senses tell you.

I have just started playing with a paper drum processor to process 4x5 film.
It looks like it might save on chemicals and be easy to use.  It still takes
some practice loading it in the dark.

I know I ran on here, but hope it helps some.

Regards,
Fred