[LargeFormat] Homemade Studio Stands?

Stein largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 23 18:06:12 2001

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01C18C49.8FF23140

Homemade Studio Stands?Dear Joe,

       YES!=20
     =20
      Actually, yes. Yes I do have a home-made studio stand. I took my =
1994 copy of the Linhof catalog along to a friend who has a home =
workshop and he made me a copy of the Minimatic I studio stand.

       It is the smallest of the lot and the least complicated. The =
basic structure is 50mm square steel tubing with a horizontal arm riding =
up and down it. The arm is fited at both ends with a strong steel =
bracket pierced for 3/8" screws to attach either ball heads, pan/tilt =
heads, or an accessory tray made of a baking dish.

      The inside of the central column has a cast lead weight that is =
attached by a length of steel cable to the horizontal arm. It turns over =
a small wheel at the top of the column.

      The three legs are welded onto the column with commercial roller =
wheels at their outboard ends and a stop-rod from an office chair to =
secure the thing to a smooth floor when i want to stop it rolling =
around.

      The total cost of the project was a case of beer and the steel. =
The end result is magnificent as it allows me to roll around the tiled =
studio floor with no lifting a tripod. The cameras - I frequently mount =
2 - are available from 6" to 7 1/ ' from the floor surface with no =
twisting and sliding tripod legs. My radio sender that connects the =
cameras to the flash units is velcro'ed onto the horizontal arm with a =
double PC plug and thus I am free of any trailing cables.

       In short - I can heartily reccommend the DIY stand. Ask around =
your local engineering workshops or a TAFE shop class - they might make =
it for you.

       Uncle Dick

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01C18C49.8FF23140

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Homemade Studio Stands?</TITLE>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear Joe,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; YES! =
</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Actually, yes. Yes =
I do have a=20
  home-made studio stand. I took my 1994 copy of the Linhof catalog =
along to a=20
  friend who has a home workshop and he made me a copy of the Minimatic =
I studio=20
  stand.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; It is the =
smallest of=20
  the lot and the least complicated. The basic structure is 50mm square =
steel=20
  tubing with a horizontal arm riding up and down it. The arm is fited =
at both=20
  ends with a strong steel bracket pierced for 3/8" screws to attach =
either ball=20
  heads, pan/tilt heads, or an accessory tray made of a baking=20
dish.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The inside of the =
central=20
  column has a cast lead weight that is attached by a length of steel =
cable to=20
  the horizontal arm. It turns over a small wheel at the top of the=20
  column.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The three legs are =
welded onto=20
  the column with commercial roller wheels at their outboard ends and a =
stop-rod=20
  from an office chair to secure the thing to a smooth floor when i want =
to stop=20
  it rolling around.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The total cost of =
the project=20
  was a case of beer and the steel. The end result is magnificent as it =
allows=20
  me to roll around the tiled studio floor with no lifting a tripod. The =
cameras=20
  - I frequently mount 2 - are available from 6" to 7 1/ ' from the =
floor=20
  surface with no twisting and sliding tripod legs. My radio sender that =

  connects the cameras to the flash units is velcro'ed onto the =
horizontal arm=20
  with a double PC plug and thus I am free of any trailing =
cables.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In short - I =
can=20
  heartily reccommend the DIY stand. Ask around your local engineering =
workshops=20
  or a TAFE shop class - they might make it for you.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Uncle=20
Dick</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01C18C49.8FF23140--