[LargeFormat] 6x17cm Format on 5x7 Cameras

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Fri Dec 14 12:42:13 2001

At 9:02 am -0800 14/12/01, Paul and Paula Butzi wrote:
>  > As it was a bright sunny day I thought the cold (2C) would not be too
>>  much of a problem - wrong! It was freezing with a wind chill factor
>>  of -7C. After the first shot I couldn't feel the focusing knobs or
>>  standard clamping knobs and it was a race to get the second shot and
>  > pack the kit up with no feeling in any of my fingers.....
>
>Here in North America, we use a cunning invention called 'gloves' which
>are insulated coverings for your hands with individual spaces for individual
>fingers and thumbs, and 'mittens' which are similar but have only
>one space for all your
>fingers and another for your thumb.  You wear one glove/mitten on one
>hand, and another on the other hand.
snip

British men don't wear gloves - you'll be suggesting scarves and
woolen waistcoats next ;-)

Thanks for that - amused me for a number of reasons. We have (or had)
a sitcom called Steptoe and Son all about a rag and bone man and his
aged father. They wore fingerless gloves, similar to those I used to
wear when driving LandRovers (a vehicle where the concept of heating
was alluded to rather than put into practise).  The gloves were also
invaluable for cold weather photography.

For some reason, the female of the species (at least the ones I have
been involved with) have taken a great dislike to my fingerless
gloves and given the opportunity will either hide them or
"accidentally" throw them away. If you listen very carefully when
wearing them you can sometimes just hear muttered phrases such as
"steptoe's yard, stupid gloves" etc etc. Water off a duck's back to
me, but particularly annoying when you can't find the things.....

I had a number of pairs - the only pair remaining are a hideous
blue/red two tone set and were placed as substitutes by one female
more enterprising than most who again disposed of the originals.

So I am now in a position to buy some new fingerless gloves and
thanks for the recommendation :-)