[LargeFormat] 360mm Teles and Longer Lenses in General

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 10 08:50:04 2001

At 9:36 am +0000 9/12/01, philip Lambert wrote:
>Clive,
>SRB did offer a support for long heavy lenses which need a tripod bush under
>them.   If, however, you can support the lens on an additional front
>standard and an extension rail, even on a second tripod, you might be able
>to use the lens. Rear focussing movement would be needed. I used the
>drainpipe extension on a 305mm ReproClaron but the weight is small. This was
>on a monorail with fixed bellows too short for the 305mm. As to Ektars, are
>there any really long ones around? Philip

Using a tripod support is an option but the whole plot becomes a
little unmanageable if you need to set up two tripods or an
attachment to the main tripod to cater for the lens.

I was hoping to use the lens on a 5x7 camera (a 5x7 B&J Grover
monorail) but do not have an additional extension rail for the
camera. It is a hexagonal rail and I suppose I could use the rail
from a 4x5 B&J Grover that is also used here for studio work, however
am not too clear how the rails would be joined together - does anyone
else have a twin rail Grover system or experience with them?

In any case I think the bellows are not long enough for the 21 1/4"
Ektanon so it would need an extension on a second front standard
maybe.....

The longest Ektar that I know of is 14" - there are also longer Aero
Ektars and the Ektanon may count as an Ektar?