[LargeFormat] Whatever the Weather - well what is the weather?

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 2 21:54:01 2001

At 10:52 am -0800 1/12/01, Verna Knapp wrote:

>Here in Oregon we have a name for a day of sunshine after two days of
>rain. It is called "Monday".
>
>And it has been raining so much that even sunshine during the week would
>be welcome here.
>
>I had a nature photography teacher here that told his class that
>"weather"
>was a legitimate nature photograph. As a result I have photographs of
>rain falling (flash makes it appear to fall up), wind (you should see
>the young 60' fir trees whipping around in the wind outside my window
>right now!), snow falling, floods flooding, rainbows, fog, surf in
>action, landslides, dew, and ... yes, I even included a full moon and
>some
>sunrises and sunsets. I have yet to illustrate an earthquake in action,
>though.
>
>It is interesting to deliberately go out and try to illustrate the
>concept
>"it's raining". That was how it started. Heavy raindrops pounding a
>flooded field with the water flooding onto the road was a good one.
>
>Of course, with large format, a van with a big sliding door would be an
>asset for that particular assignment. I wimped out and used 35mm from
>my car window.

Well we actually had some sunshine here today - far too cold to tempt
me outside though and plenty to do here so had a relaxing day sorting
out paperwork etc.

'Good weather and love are two things we can never be sure of.' Alice Hoffman

The love thing is fraught but there is something we can do about the
weather - I have set up a new weather forecast page on the f32 at
http://www.f32.net/Services/weather.html

This is a world-wide facility and should be useful to anyone who is
considering packing their kit for a wild weather trip or even those
in search of a sunny day with just the right sort of clouds ;-)

You have made me think about using a Crown Graphic with 400 ASA film
out of the car window. The old LandRover went to a new owner some
time ago so have nothing that is big enough to set up a tripod. Have
tentative plans for the summer with something a bit larger but that
will require a bit of time and thought.