[LargeFormat] InfraRed

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Nov 19 07:46:01 2001

At 20:29 18/11/01 +0000, philip Lambert wrote:
>I see on www.mrcad.co.uk that one can buy inrared film and a filter, e.g 25
>sheets 5x4 =A336. Maco brand "handling and processing as Kodak HIE". Has
>anybody tried this and is the winter season a practical time to start?. My
>black velvet loading bag is light-tight - does this mean it's infra-red
>tight?
>The film is also available in 35mm so one might first experiment on this.
>The same site has "Genius" lith film at e.g. 25 sheets 5x7 =A314 and Maco=
 B&W
>up to 20x24 although I did hear a man say it was grainy.....maybe - but he
>never said what exposure/ developer he used.  Philip

What is the filter offered by Mr CAD?

The sensitivity of the MACO film does not extend quite as far into the=20
infared light spectrum as Kodak HIE. Think of the MACO film as being=20
between Konica 750IR film and Kodak HIE.  There is a fair amount of=20
information in the Infrared FAQ (http://www.infraredfaq.org) on the=20
differences between the films and exposure/processing guides for MACO film=
=20
using various filters.

The MACO film is pretty good - early production problems have been=20
sorted.  It does have a green antihalation backing that should be dissolved=
=20
with a water bath before developing.  Because of the anti-halation backing=
=20
there is not the characteristic "halo" effect that HIE produces (HIE=20
doesn't have an anti-halation backing). MACO is now the only 4x5 infrared=20
film available over the counter that I know of since Kodak discontinued HSI=
=20
(4x5 sheet).  If anybody else has a source or info. about other 4x5 IR film=
=20
stock then please speak up!

Your changing bag may not be infrared proof. You can test any bag using a=20
piece of infrared film left in the bag for an hour or two in daylight or=20
tungsten light - develop and look for fogging.  You could also use a=20
camcorder placed inside the bag on low-light setting (eg Sony).  If you do=
=20
this in a shop to avoid the hideous expense of actually buying a camcorder=
=20
for this purpose, then be careful you don't get arrested as you place the=20
camcorder in the black bag ;-)  Generally, those changing bags that have a=
=20
rubberised surface on the inner bag are infrared proof.

Winter is for me a great time for infrared photography with the contrast=20
between evergreen and deciduous trees making some wonderful=20
compositions.  There is still plenty of infrared light around in the Winter=
 :-)

Interesting about the 5x7 Genius lith film, thanks for the pointer - have=20
you tried any of this or know someone else who has used it?  Am tempted to=
=20
buy some anyway just to try it out.