[LargeFormat] Leonid Meteor Shower

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Nov 18 06:52:01 2001

At 11:15 am -0600 17/11/01, Michael Briggs wrote:
>On 17-Nov-01 Clive Warren wrote:
>>  As for technique - yep and thanks for the advice. I am hoping to use
>>  a 7" aero Ektar on 4x5. This has an aperture of f2.5 and is corrected
>>  for infinity - probably performs very well wide open. This is one of
>>  those times that not having a shutter is an advantage in the dark -
>>  just take the lens cap off :-)
>
>This should work.  I wonder whether a f2.5 Aero Ektar delivers more light than
>a modern f5.6 lens.  The Aero Ektars must be uncoated and the rear glass has
>turned brown from self-induced radation damage.  I am doing a historical and
>labortory study of the Aero Ektars.  Two of the rear elements contain Thorium.

Michael,

Thanks for the additional guidelines - as you have probably read
there was no opportunity for even seeing the meteor shower, let alone
photographing....

Very interested in what you had to say about the Aero Ektars. Do you
mean that because of the radiation damage less light is allowed
through the lens?

Have had a quick look at the two 7" aeros I have here and they
definitely show a brown tinge to the glass. Have always wondered
about the levels of radiation emitting from the lenses as I knew they
contained rare elements that were not too healthy. Exactly what are
the levels of radiation given off and is this potentially harmful?!

Would you consider publishing some of your findings on the f32.net
web site? Would be great to have some more information available for
general interest.  I have always wondered also how well the lenses
are corrected for work that is not at infinity. Have read in some
places that people dis these lenses for anything other than infinity.
I have not yet used the lenses so have nothing to go on in terms of
my own experience. One of the lenses is in a helicoid focusing mount
and I was considering building it into a homebrew camera for 6x12 or
similar..