[LargeFormat] Silica Packs to avoid the Fungus

Andrew Eschbacher largeformat@f32.net
Wed Nov 7 12:28:14 2001

--=====================_1338277==_.ALT

Clive,

Calumet Photo at http://www.calumetphoto.com/ carries silica paks.  You may
have to dig around the website for a while but they are there.  Plus,
Calumet has a british operation.

Drew

At 05:13 AM 11/7/01, you wrote:
>Had a quick look at a couple of lenses last night that I have been meaning
>to test - both are unknown quantities.  Had a bit of a fright when looking
>through them top see the start of fungus on internal elements.  The fungus
>was probably there when I bought the lenses - they are kept in a warm and
>fairly dry environment so growth is not encouraged.
>
>Anyway, after a strip down and clean with my favourite (Ponds Cold Cream)
>both lenses are now in tip top shape.  These two lenses are the only ones
>that I do not keep in ZipLok bags (one of the best camera accessories
>ever!).  Have been thinking that investment in a whole load of new silica
>packs would be a good idea. Some of these can be found with an indicator
>showing when they have to be recharged.
>
>Anyone know of a UK source for these indicator silica packs or even the
>less sophisticated kind?   US or other European sources would also be useful.
>
>Cheers,
>            Clive

Calumet Photo at
carries silica paks.&nbsp; You may have to dig around the website for a while but they are there.&nbsp; Plus, Calumet has a british operation.<br><br>
Drew<br><br>
At 05:13 AM 11/7/01, you wrote:<br>
Anyway, after a strip down and clean with my favourite (Ponds Cold Cream) both lenses are now in tip top shape.&nbsp; These two lenses are the only ones that I do not keep in ZipLok bags (one of the best camera accessories ever!).&nbsp; Have been thinking that investment in a whole load of new silica packs would be a good idea. Some of these can be found with an indicator showing when they have to be recharged.<br><br>
Anyone know of a UK source for these indicator silica packs or even the less sophisticated kind?&nbsp;&nbsp; US or other European sources would also be useful.<br><br>
Cheers,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Clive<br><br>