[LargeFormat] Silica Packs to avoid the Fungus

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Nov 7 06:20:55 2001

Had a quick look at a couple of lenses last night that I have been meaning
to test - both are unknown quantities.  Had a bit of a fright when looking
through them top see the start of fungus on internal elements.  The fungus
was probably there when I bought the lenses - they are kept in a warm and
fairly dry environment so growth is not encouraged.

Anyway, after a strip down and clean with my favourite (Ponds Cold Cream)
both lenses are now in tip top shape.  These two lenses are the only ones
that I do not keep in ZipLok bags (one of the best camera accessories
ever!).  Have been thinking that investment in a whole load of new silica
packs would be a good idea. Some of these can be found with an indicator
showing when they have to be recharged.

Anyone know of a UK source for these indicator silica packs or even the
less sophisticated kind?   US or other European sources would also be useful.