[LargeFormat] loading

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Nov 5 04:08:02 2001

At 20:37 04/11/01 +0200, Dave Southwood wrote:
>I have just begun to load my 4 by 5 backs in the field in a small tent
>into which i insert my arms. has anyone some advice on eradicating dust?
>Is a burst of compressed air between the slide and the base of the
>darkslide-proper sufficient? I will need to store the exposed negatives
>for a day or two before I can process them. Any advice on a suitable
>container if the kodak box is not the most efficient? Should I line the
>boxes with some soft material?
>
>thanks

Hello Dave,

My solution to the dust problem was to move to Grafmatics, place each one
in it's own ZipLok bag (do you have these in SA?) and use the original film
boxes for storage of exposed film.  The Ziplok is a wonderful invention -
it is a plastic bag with a double seal.  I have used larger versions for
holding ice in a film bag.

The tent should make dust less of a problem than a changing bag - one thing
is to place the changing bag/tent inside a large ziplok bag when not in use
and regularly turn it inside out in as dust free an environment as possible.

A 1" paint brush is also very useful. After emptying a Grafmatic I usually
blow at the thing and brush away merrily for a few minutes before
reloading.  I have a rather involved arrangement in the dark of the
changing bag to keep the film carrying septums off the bottom of the bag
whilst they are out of the Grafmatic holder.

All double filmholders I have used in the field have had dust problems
after a few uses.    When I say the field I mean the desert :-)  Using them
in the UK with our damp atmosphere does not cause the same problems. I have
a theory about static electricity and the plastic holders.  5x7 wooden
holders do not seem to suffer in the same way.

Hope this helps.