[LargeFormat] Re: LargeFormat digest, Vol 1 #191 - 6 msgs

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Mon Oct 22 14:28:03 2001

> Since this is a large format list, I'm hoping some of you can help me
out.
> I'm planning on going into architectural photography, and would like to
> have the name of any professional photographic organizations for that
> field; particularly ones willing to accept student members.

<Gordon,
<where are you & where do you plan to go - its a big world!

Sorry about that:  I'm in Southern California, USA.  No one particular
school in mind:  Currently attending Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa,
but will take classes elsewhere as I can find them.  One of my reasons for
looking for an organization specializing in architectural photographers is
to find out where the best training classes are; the others are to learn
more of the profession in general, and how one goes about breaking into it.

Perhaps I should add a caveat:  I'm not the typical young college student.
I'm a 52 year old former commercial photographer, who's been out of the
business for nearly 30 years raising a family.  Now, with retirement age
approaching, I would like very much to go back into the photo business; and
architectural work in particular.  Finding my skills rusty and somewhat
obsolete, after decades of nothing but snapshots, portraits, and
landscapes, I'm trying to learn the skills necessary to succeed in the 21st
century, where I'll be competing against much tougher competition than I
faced in the early '70's.