[LargeFormat] MF + movements

philip Lambert largeformat@f32.net
Sun Aug 19 15:48:03 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frantisek Vlcek" <ffranta@volny.cz>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2001 5:02 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] MF + movements

> Hi all!
>    I would like to know some options in MF with movements, please.  Used
only, as I am on very tight budget .    I have in mind a travel camera, MF,
which would allow movements>    Most 4x5" are just too expensive, and I
don't have 4x5" enlarger.     6x9cm is my enlarger maximum . Movements are
primarily for landscape  photography, plus occasional architecture but not
any    apo-grandagon 35mm style : simply not enough dough. 2 1/4 & 3 1/4
Century Graphic - this is not much available in> Czechia, being built in USA
long time ago, not imported into> Communist country. But these are supposed
to be cheap in USA, and> maybe my friend there could ship me one. It's a
miniature field LF,> isn't it? With Graflok/International back - so I can
use all the modern> rollbacks?
> Frantisek

Dear Frantisek
A 2x3 Speed Graphic is cheap, small and light compared with most field
cameras. It doesn't feel rugged. About45-60 years old so good condition is
vital unless you can repair things yourself. Its appearance does not shout
"Steal me!". It can be a sensible way to start MF with movements. The
lever-wind rollfilm back resembles a non-rotating 67 Mamiya RB back.
.Landscape format is its usual mode - you turn the outfit on its side for
portrait.   The rangefinder on mine did not couple with the lens that came
with the camera but I used the ground glass invariably. Lensboards (lens
panels) are tiny but I contrived a sunken one for a 65mm Angulon: the
bellows were tight and rising front restricted.  A 90mm Angulon permitted
rising, drop, tilt and limited cross front.  No back movements. I haven't
found a version with a working focal plane shutter but modest lenses in
shutters can be bought in England between £50 and £120. 127mm or 135mm
Xenar/Compurs are not in demand for 5x4, are cheap and suit the operation of
the camera  I guess a 180mm would have enough bellows draw but it would need
to be small to fit the lensboard. My old 180mm Xenar is much too bulky but
modern small black Xenars are around..
My 203mm Ektar might have been usable on an extended lensboard but I
replaced the Speed Graphic with a shabby black Linhof 6x9 STIV, which could
do more but was dearer/heavier. My Graphic with 105mm Xenar and 6x7 RFB cost
£200 here, the price of a Linhof 67(120) back. Don't bother about 6x12
transparencies at this stage unless you know you can sell pictures.... in
the UK such 5x4 rollfilm backs cost a great deal.  Philip