[LargeFormat] home densitometry

Don Wilkes largeformat@f32.net
Tue Aug 14 17:45:26 2001

Dear group,

Yesterday, I ran across a website article that appears to be how to build a
housing to use a Pentax Spotmeter V as a simple densitometer.
Unfortunately, it is all in Japanese, so it was a bit difficult for me to
figure out, apart from the general concept. The 46-49 step-up ring made
sense, as did the "light-tight croth" [sic], but the two "Kenko close-up
#10" filters had me scratching my head -- I've never seen anything for sale
stronger than a #3. Perhaps that's just a nomenclature difference...

It seems to be adapted from something Phil Davis may have once written.
Does this ring any bells for anyone with copies of his books?

I just bought a used Pentax Spotmeter V a week ago, and I was vaguely
thinking of doing just this sort of thing, only in not so elaborate a
fashion.  So, it was rather startling to run across this web thingy.

Much to my embarassment, I mis-remembered the photographer I thought was
associated with this item, and fired off a message to Fred Picker before I
double-checked.  Augh.

Cheers,
\dw