[LargeFormat] Getting a View Camera Down Low

Daniel J. Hein largeformat@f32.net
Mon Aug 6 22:04:11 2001

I want to take some pictures of Indian Pipes, a saprophitic plant that grows
maybe 6" tall on the forest floor.  I have used 35mm in the past and it
isn't a problem getting low enough...I have used a little pocket field
tripod similar to Leica tabletop but only much lower, getting the lens about
2" off the ground.  How to do the same with a view camera?  I have a Gitzo
that permits the legs to go flat, but with the head and all I am still too
high.  The forest floor is usually not flat like a studio floor, so some
adjustment is necessary.  Anybody help me out here with some good way to get
my camera down low...I do not want to look down on the plant, I want to be
on the same plane.

Dan