[LargeFormat] 300mm

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jul 19 10:06:30 2001

At 08:23 19/07/01 +0100, philip Lambert wrote:
>From: "Lee Carmichael" <click76112@home.com>
> > It is my understanding that the REPRO Claron is a vastly different lens
>than
> > a G-Claron.  Can anyone comment on the differences?
> >
> > lee
>
>No data found in a quick search on "Schneider repro claron".  Did you have
>better luck? . Caertainly G Clarons sell for more than Repro Clarons here
>but they are more recent.

My understanding is that the Repro Claron is a narrow angle lens (like an
Artar) and is probably better at its job for the limited circle of coverage
than say the G-Claron which has a larger image circle and more compromises
in the design.  This is armchair philosophy though as I have not used
either lens and have seen no published comparative tests.

For 8x10 the coverage may be a limiting factor, however I bet you would not
be able to tell the difference between results from contact prints made
with both lenses.

G-Clarons sell for more probably because they are younger, have better
coatings, greater coverage and a modern shutter.  They may also weigh
less......