[LargeFormat] 300mm

philip Lambert largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jul 16 17:39:06 2001

I haven't taken my "new" mahogany 10x8 into the field yet but   I expect to
use my Repro Claron 305mm f9, one of a batch on sale at Mr Cad who charged
me just over £200 for a nice one with a serviced shutter. I think this has
more elements than the Apo Ronar but the aperture is the same so presumably
it is better in some way.At this minute the sun is shining on South :London
.The footpaths are open again and the country looks terrific but the
tourists seem missing. I guess all that foot and mouth scare is to blame.
Where would you buy 10x8 film in London?  I have located a processing lab
and if the camera works well I shall probably contrive to do my own
processing afterwards.
Is there a particular varnish used on brown wood cameras?  There are areas
on mine that need refinishing . I don't think it's french polished as the
varnish looks a bit thick and glassy. I could use french polish or
polyurethane or button varnish after sanding the scratches.  I will leave
most of the wood untouched but the loosened screws can apparently be dealt
with by applying a little modern wood polysomething white glue into the
screw hole, replacing the screw 75% and tightening it 24 hours later