[LargeFormat] rising front

Karl Wolz largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jul 4 09:38:08 2001

Philip,

I've read your question about a dozen times (both when originally posted and
now), and don't really understand what you're asking.  It is either so basic
that anyone would easily know the answer, or so deep that it is near
incomprehensible.  I am not trying to be insulting.  I just don't quite know
what you are asking that wouldn't have been answered by Frank.

Please try again; I'd like to take a shot at it.

I'll go ahead and hazard the comment that, unless you are shooting in a
macro situation, moving the lens an inch will move your image an inch, no
matter the format.

Should you be shooting in a macro-type situation, the image will be
displaced rather more (how much depending upon how close you are to the
subject), and obviously, any near/far (i. e. a flower in front of a
mountain) relationship would be changed, since the lens position defines the
point of view.  Should you not want that relationship changed, you would be
better off dropping the back, rather than raising the lens.

Either way, the size of film will have no effect on the image, other than
the wider angle of inclusion.

Hope this helps,

Karl Wolz