[LargeFormat] Eastman Number 2 and Velostigmat

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jun 30 14:52:07 2001

The Number 2 Eastman  was the immediate predecessor to the 2D, the D
standing for,of all things, Dark Finish. This happened in 1921 or there
abouts so the camera is officially OLD.

I think you are fine as far as film holders go, These cameras were
usually made by either Folmer & Schwing Divison/Department, or Century
Div. of Ekc.  F&S designed the filmholder that became standard, and by
the time you get into the WWI years, most camera manufacturers had come
around to the F&S standard. (If you can find a 5 or 6 digit number
stamped into the wood, usually tucked on the rear standard, send it in
and I may be able to date it for you)

Check the bellows for lightleaks, (flashlight inside the bellows, you on
the outside in a dark room looking for pinpoints of light)

Check to see if the locks lock. Most of the time they don't, which isn't
a real problem if you keep the camera level.

The 2D and I presume the 2  had a "tripod block"  a smallish piece of
wood that fit the tripod with brass trim on the sides that slid into the
lowest groove on the sides of  the bed rails (There should be 3 grooves,
if there are only two, then ignore this paragraph). This allows you to
balance the camera on the tripod while using normal to long lenses.
MOst of the time these are missing.

The camera came with two rails,  One folds down in front, the other
attaches to the back. The extension rails usually get left behind in the
estate sale.  Also I've seen cameras mounted backwards on the rails.

Les