[LargeFormat] Durst 138S focusing problem

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jun 15 11:28:08 2001

At 09:03 14/06/01 -0700, you wrote:
>At 10:16 AM 6/14/01 +0100, Clive Warren wrote:
snippety

> >Just to be technical for a moment - backlash means that the focusing knob
> >turns without any corresponding movement of the head up or down the column
> >- is this also happening?
>
>It's actually the exact opposite of that.  After focusing 'up', and going
>just a teensy bit too far, just breathing on the knob to focus 'down'
>causes things to jump past the focus point.  Then I have to try to sneak up
>on it again, and again, and again...

Don,

Have been too tied up to even get into the darkroom - may not make it
tonight either!

In  the earlier message I was indeed talking about the knob for raising and
lowering the head rather than focusing. I am again going on memory - there
are fixing screws along the focusing track (which I seem to recall is
geared on my machine) which I have had to tighten in the past.  You may be
right in your first assessment of the problem as a lack of lubrication on
the geared track - probably worth checking the fitting of the track on the
"head column" as it may have become loose.

Hope this helps.