[LargeFormat] symmar

philip Lambert largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 7 10:42:02 2001

I just took my weighty 360mm Symmar to the dealer, having bought a good used
305mm ReproClaron  f9 which is a fraction of the size and weight. Also
recently sold Nimitz-class 8x10 Sinar. Will use 6x9 Linhof Technika V for
architecture (when the sun shines) with six light-weight, sharp lenses and
would buy a 6x12 RFB for my 5x4 Gowland flyweight but such filmbacks are
hard to find here.  The dealer commented that a lot of people are downsizing
which he attributed to increasing age (of photographer) and usage of digital
backs.  Can't understand the latter, given the prices of them.
Incidentally the above Linhof has a modified focussing mount to suit  a 47mm
S/Angulon with the lens panel fully retracted and the focussing bed dropped.
Prior to this the shortest lens I could use was the 65mm SAng. in a recessed
mount  but maybe a 58mm ditto would have worked.   Don't seem to see many
58mms in the UK.
The used camera market is much more extensive in the States. I have never
bought anything from Ebay as I am unsure of my remedies if I don't like a
purchase when it arrives. Philip