[LargeFormat] Planning Advice

Pam Niedermayer largeformat@f32.net
Tue Apr 3 18:16:00 2001

"Hornford, Dave" wrote:

> A friend at work suggested that I'd find a new camera easier to carry hiking
> once my wallet was substantially lighter. :-)

Indeed.

> The PVC I was thinking of is the ABS Walker Titan. A few wet & wet then
> frozen experiences have me slightly concerned about something like a Wisner
> PE. Its not that I intend to thrash it, rather, I might unintentionally -
> and that wallet lightening has me thinking about durability.

That's why we have insurance companies. Just insure and stop worrying.

> Any experience with really poor conditions & durability that should cause me
> to worry more or less?
>
> Pam, What would cause you not to look at anything other than a Phillips if
> you were buying new?

Well, I do like the Gowland quite a bit, am not at all unhappy with
it. I was very impressed with the Phillips in the short time I had to
play with Ted's. What I'm actually doing is building a couple of
8x10's for Ted and me rather than looking at ready mades. Making
something is much more pleasing right now than doing more shopping.

I put together 3 systems last year in my effort to find something I
liked a lot. Very tiring, now have to sell the Wisner 5x7, very
boring; so I'm not up to evaluating a bunch more cameras long distance
for a long, long time. I know the Phillips is not only acceptable, it
excels, so why look further, were I looking.

You may also want to consider Ebony, forgot to mention them. And Lotus.

Pam

--
Pamela G. Niedermayer
Pinehill Softworks Inc.