[LargeFormat] Re: Field camera

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sun Apr 1 15:50:17 2001

Bob Younger wrote:

> Regarding lens choice; on my 4x5 I have a 90, 150, and 270. Richard Garrod
> says you need six lenses for any format, adding a wider angle, a 210, and
> probably a 400 or so.

Ansel Adams is credited with saying anything more than two lenses is
overkill, since the one lens you need will be back at the truck/ten/home
anyway. (Of course I didn't listen to his advice either, and his
prediction has come true on a number of occasions.

I believe there is some truth to the idea that you can catagorize LF
photographers in to two general groups, ones that tend to shoot wide,
and ones that tend to shoot long.  Here in the midwest I rarely use
anything over a 210 to shoot buildings, and have concentrated on the
wide end, with a 58,65,90,123,135,180.  On the other hand when heading
out west I will drop the two widest lenses and put some of my 8x10
lenses on 4x5-- a10"wf ektar, 14'comm Ektar and 19" artar.

Les