[LargeFormat] old film sizes (some other sources)

Frantisek largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 14 13:56:08 2001

On the issue of vanished film formats, I recently came upon two options of
getting some fresh, new made film for them. I think I could share with the
group, hope this is news to you :)

	1) EFKE in Croatia (www.fotoimpex.de) make three emulsion speeds on ORWO
machines, according to old 50s recipe for Adox KB 15, KB 17, KB 21. strict
traditional, single-emulsion films with beatiful response curve, propably
very good for any zone freaks <g>. The offer a very modestly priced 127
film (the super-slide format, 4x4cm Baby/Sport Rolleis, 3x4cm folders,...),
100 asa speed, suitable for negative or reversal processing (clear base).

	2) Foma (www.foma.cz) (and possibly other smaller film manufacturers),
offering very cheaply priced sheet film up to 50x60cm (iso 100 pan, or even
some ortho). What's best they are open to orders of other, user-specified
formats (although the minimum order amount is not known to me). Perhaps
even roll films of odd sizes (but I guess you would have to spool them
yourself :)

There are some other small film manufacturers, like Maco and Turo in
Germany, Berger (?) in UK (?), but most of them don't AFAIK do sheet sizes.
And of course Ilford, but that's already a Big manuracturer.

	It's great that those "small" companies still hold up, because Kodak and
others big are discontinuing film after film when digital goes up
(recently, the Agfa APX 25)... I hope they will survive for long enough, so
we don't have to coat our own glass plates! It would be fun though. The
purists would like it :)

	Frantisek