[LargeFormat] GranView Camera?

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 14 05:56:02 2001

At 20:29 13/03/01 -0500, Douglas Cooper wrote:
>On 3/13/01 8:10 PM, Les Newcomer expressed the following:
>
> > The sweet spot for WF Ektars is f16-22, below that the image gets soft.
> > You need something that's sharp at 5.6-8.  I tried using an 80WF Ektar
> > on a minispeed and finally had to settle for a Planar. MUCH better
> > results.  This is why most Graflexes used Tessars, they weren't wide but
> > they were fast. I cna't think of a fast wide angle lens at the moment,
> > other than a 5" Dagor, that would give you f8  There are those pesky
> > f2.9 5" Aero ektars, but boy are they heavy!  Sharp but heavy!
> > Les
> >
> > Douglas Cooper wrote:
> >>
> >> Does anyone here have experience with a GranView handheld 4x5?  I may be
> >> trading a Leica M3 for one, but I'd like to know if anyone has thoughts on
> >> this peculiar beast.  The idea is to do 4x5 street shooting (which I'm set
> >> up to do already with my Super Graphic, but it's a much heavier camera).
> >> I'd mount a 100/6.3 Wide Field Ektar on it.
>
>Hm.  That's an issue, isn't it.  Well, I have the 127 Ektar (which is a
>Tessar) and the 203mm -- this camera can be modified for other focal
>lengths.  I'm concerned about the camera itself, though:  is it a worthwhile
>body to have, or is it too limited?

The 127mm Ektar is a great lens - and ideal for street shooting where you
don't really want to use camera movements.  The 203mm Ektar is probably one
of the best lenses that Kodak ever produced, but may be a little too long
in focal length - guess it depends on your street shooting style.....

All the best,
                 Clive   http://www.f32.net
                         Large Format Travel and Stock Photography