[LargeFormat] Re: focusing cloth

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Thu Feb 22 13:18:00 2001

I've never been a fan of dark cloths that attach to the camera, I/the
wind end up knocking/moving the camera. I've assisted several other pro
photographers that had a myriad of velcro fasteners littering up their
cameras and never saw any of them in use.
 For years I've used a homemade dark cloth that is large and
combersome,(two pieces of closth, one white,one black sewn at the edges)
 but with a couple of fender washers (large washers 1 1/4" dia) in each
corner helps  greatly.

The other option for a high tech dark cloth is a cowl (my term)
Essentially it's a long tube that fits over your neck. When you need it
you pull it up over the rear standard. When done drop it back over your
neck. IT works very well, but can get hot in the summer. The length and
diameter depend on the size of the camera and how far away you want to
be when viewing the ground glass. And for the adventurous sewer, you
could make the camera end with elastic.

The emergency option is the jacket or coat. The collar rests on your
neck, the tails fit over the  camera. I learned how to quickly compose
and focus a 5x7 one winter using this method.

Les